Monday, April 16, 2007

O Happy Day

Ok, so I was trying to find the lyrics for "O Happy Day", and aparently the "gospel" version that we sing today comes from an 18th century hymn by Philip Doddridge:
 
  1. O happy day, that fixed my choice
    On Thee, my Savior and my God!
    Well may this glowing heart rejoice,
    And tell its raptures all abroad.
    • Refrain:
      Happy day, happy day,
      When Jesus washed my sins away!
      He taught me how to watch and pray,
      And live rejoicing every day:
      Happy day, happy day,
      When Jesus washed my sins away!
  2. O happy bond, that seals my vows
    To Him Who merits all my love!
    Let cheerful anthems fill His house,
    While to that sacred shrine I move.
  3. It's done: the great transaction's done!
    I am the Lord's and He is mine;
    He drew me and I followed on;
    Charmed to confess the voice divine.
  4. Now rest, my long-divided heart,
    Fixed on this blissful center, rest;
    Here have I found a nobler part;
    Here heav'nly pleasures fill my breast.
  5. High heav'n, that heard the solemn vow,
    That vow renewed shall daily hear,
    Till in life's latest hour I bow
    And bless in death a bond so dear.

No comments: